Thursday 23 September 2010

The Outdoor Life

Hey all!

So since my last post I have been enjoying the weather even more and making the most of it, by spending my time in the great outdoors!

As my profile picture shows, I've been kayaking, along the Brisbane river! Which was so awesome, it was my first experience kayaking, so it took me a little bit to get used to, and to handling the paddle! It was hard work on the arms, and I'm a bit weedy, so it took a while! But I really enjoyed it, and will deffo be going again; it was so great to be on the water and admire the view as I paddled!

So yesturday I went to the Australian Zoo, which was founded by Steve Irwin, the Crocadile Hunter!!!! This was such a great experience as I got to encounter Australian wildlife hands on! I held a koola, so cool, I was warned they are quite smelly, but the chap I got didn't, which was good and he was a very docile, chilled out dude (so cute); although they had sharp claws, ha! I also saw my first kangeroo, or kangers, and I got to feed them, which was so wicked, they held my arms, as it ate from my hands. These kangers were very used to being around humans, so they were very releaxed around people and they were quite happy if you petted them, which I did! Roo's are definalty my favorite animal I have encountered so far! I have some good pics with both these animals which I will upload soon! I also saw some elephants, and got to feed them too, these guys were pretty old and so big, they seemed like ancient animals, (lol) and there trunks were awesome, as it used this to eat the food you gave it, although when they got lettuce and celery, they didn't eat it! I then saw some tigers, which were just beaut, they gave off vibes of power and were very sure of themseleves! After this I saw a croc show, which was super awesome, it was great to see one go for food, they are very quick when they jump towards their prey, blink and you miss! It really educated me on how powerful these creatures are, lets hope I don't see any :O They are supposedly quite fast as well, so I would have no chance, ha! There has been much history written about people who have been killed/eaten by crocs, as they hide by banks and jump out at the oblivious prey! So they are very dangerous, but are mostly in northen Oz, I'm not really travelling in this area, thank god! I'm also saw a bird show and finally got to see the Aussie bird, cookerburra, which was very quite and nosiy! I also saw parrots, soo cool, they even flew over my head!

So my adventures are now coming to a close in Brisbane, with Mary, its been great!!! Thanks Mary, you rule! I've really aclimatised to Aussie land, and I'm ready to head out by myself (I hope), so now the adventure really begins and I think the next week is going to be a big learning curve! I'm heading to Cairns tonight, which is at the top of the coast and is currently around 30 degress, yes mon!!! I'm hoping to sky dive (don't freak out Mum!!!), maybe learn to scuba dive and visit the Great Barrier reef! So tonight I will be staying at my first hostel, it's meant to be a good one, as it was recommended in the Lonely Planets, so we will see!!

Until next time, Angus x

No comments:

Post a Comment