Friday 24 September 2010

Hello Cairns and HELLO 30 degrees!

Good morning everyone (well it is here!)

So I arrived in Cairns on Thrusday night after a delayed flight, and was straight away, hit by thewarm weather, its just under 30 degrees! Although today it's very humid, so it feels even hotter!! I have now been staying at my first hostel for the past two nights! It's called Tropic Days and is actually really great, I'm sharing a room with 2 others, but the people who stay each night changes frequently, I've got a good comfortable bed and a toilet and shower near me, lol! The hostel has a swimming pool and hammocks, so it's all very relaxing and chilled. My hostel is a bit further out then most from the CBD, but it's worth it as the place is great and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I have to say it has been a weird leaving Mary and being on my own in a city where I know no-one, so I've had alot of mixed emotions from excitement and seeing new places to argh, I can't believe I'm here all by myself, lol! But I've meet some cool people, I've met quite a few Irish people, who are all really nice and friendly! There is such a diverse group of people from Germans (they seem to be alot), French, Russia, the list goes on, so it's great to interact with so many different people!

I'm really starting to embrace the backpacker lifestyle, it's just awesome, as you have so much freedom to do whatever you want, whenever and there are so many sights to see, I'm very spoilt for choice! Since arriving in Cairns I've explored the CBD, been to the lagoon, which was soo very beautiful and tranquil, and I have been to Rusty's Fruit market, which had the most delicious fruits such as mangoes (my favorite fruit) papayas, pineapples, you name it they had it, all freshly grown produce! I bought some apples and they were so tasty and fresh, very refreshing in the heat! Cairns is very much a backpacker city, there are hostels and backpackers everywhere, so it has a very party feel to the city, especially at night, which is great fun! Although saying that, I'm not sure Cairns is my kind of place, I think you can usually feel a place and whether it's suits you or not, and I'm not grasped by Cairns, I think Sydney and Melbourne will be more for me! I was planning to try and find some work in Cairns, and I think I will still browse about for work, but I not sure I want to stay here to long term; one of the joys of a backpacker is you can get up and go at any time!

Today I'm off to explore the Cairns Museum and Cairns Regional gallery, so something a bit cultured! But tomorrow, is what I'm looking forward to, as I'm going snorkling at the Great Barrier reef, cannot wait!!! I'm heading to the Port Douglas area, and visiting the outer reef areas, which are meant to be more beautiful, as they have been less touched and polluted than the ones nearer to the shore! I'm also thinking of booking a tour to head into the Dantee rainforest and spend a night there, so we will see!

Until next time, Angus x

2 comments:

  1. We are so enjoying reading your blogs. You are having such an adventure.
    Lots of Love
    Rob and Arwyn x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like them :) Having a blast! Hope you are both dandy! xxx

    ReplyDelete